While I believe this is on the WTSDA page in other places, but for those who might be looking here as well, here is the new Sanctioning Form: https://form.jotform.com/wtsdahqs/SanctionedEvent
To request an overnight YOUTH camp, please complete the following: https://form.jotform.com/213155778928065
As previously discussed with the Regional Directors (and country directors), the WTSDA has a form for incident reporting. The report is to be used when an incident occurs, at a WTSDA event (such as Dan Testing, Dan or Gup Clinics, Regional Tournaments, the World Championship, etc.) including (but not limited to) in the event of any of the following:
* Injury to instructor, student or spectator
* Conflict between students/Parents/Instructors/Staff
* Student / Parent is upset with actions taken by instructors or students.
* Physical damage is incurred to the building or training equipment
* A complaint is received about something that occurred at the event (beyond an administration related occurrence).
The timely completion of these reports will allow for the most up-to-date, and therefore accurate, compilation of data about any incident. The on-line form may be found here: https://form.jotform.com/211455784801053 while the word document is included on this page below.
Once completed, the electronic version is automatically sent to the WTSDA LAC. If you are using the hard copy, you may send paper copies to the LAC (please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for the mailing address) or scan and send them via email. If you scan and send, once the LAC confirms receipt, you may shred the forms as electronic recordkeeping is preferred (and the LAC will have the records)!
Also, for any studio or club desiring to use the form for incidents in your school, please feel free to adapt the form.
Any questions on how to use it, please just ask!
As most of you know, each Region has a Regional Director. The Executive Committee and Governance Committee have, as part of the succession planning for the WTSDA, established the official position of Assistant Regional Director for each Region. Accordingly, each Region is being asked for candidates for Assistant Regional Director.
ANY INTERESTED PERSON, please send an email to email@example.com for the application NO LATER THAN JULY 10, 2022. The job description is below.
Position DescriptionWTSDA – Assistant Regional Director
Position title: Assistant Regional Director (“ARD”) Date Prepared: April 1, 2021
I. Primary Function
This position is responsible for assisting the Regional Director (“RD”) in the management and oversight of all activities within the region assigned. The ARD is the primary support for the RD and must be capable of performing the RD’s responsibilities in his or her absence. Such activities include managing events and regional accounts, supporting and advancing WTSDA goals and initiatives, the technical and business development of all members and instructors of the region, Black Belt testing, enhancing the level of professionalism of the instructors, and enforcing all WTSDA rules and regulations (see RD job description for more information).
This position reports to the Regional Director. If acting as the interim RD, the position reports, and is responsible to, the Operational Vice President, and President and the Board (through the Executive Committee and/or the Governance Committee).
II. Essential Functions
Under the direction of in consultation with the RD assists as needed with the following:
· Event support – Black Belt testing, clinics, seminars, championships, instructor training classes.· Acts as an added resource for helping to resolve issues, complaints, and arbitrates disputes as assigned by RD.· Abides by and enforces all WTSDA policies and regulations.· Coaches and counsels, with the assistance of the RD and appropriate WTSDA leaders, those who need direction.· Promotes and expands TSD locations and training events within the region.· As assigned, submits timely, accurate and complete reports (including injury reports) as required by the WTSDA.· Helps manage regional events to maximize revenue for the WTSDA, while minimizing expenses to the extent possible.· Attends and helps oversee all sanctioned events, and ensures that all protocols (including safety) are followed.· Recommends to the RD, special commendations of merit for Tang Soo Do activities.· Carries out any other duty as may be stated in the WTSDA by-laws, the Regional Director’s Guidelines, or other similar document prepared by the WTSDA.· Reports to the RD behavior or incidents that need the attention of the RD or other WTSDA personnel.
III. Performance Skills, Background, Capabilities, and Attributes
· Documented dedication to the WTSDA.· Willingness to be oriented and trained in the duties of the ARD and RD.· Ability to receive critical feedback and respond professionally.· Public speaking ability.· Writing skills.· Ability to be humble, keep a positive attitude, and help develop a sense of camaraderie among the membership.· Highly developed organizational and communication skills.· Must be a member in good standing. · Knowledge and understanding of the WTSDA’s history, mission, philosophy,technical curriculum, goals, and organizational structure.· Ability to bring people together and unite members of different social, ethnic, economic and cultural groups.· Behaves in accordance with WTSDA Tenets and is a positive role model for instructors and students.· Treats all people with respect and fairness.
IV. Knowledge, Education, and Training
· Must be a Black Belt member in good standing, with no significant disciplinary history.· Proven dedication and involvement in studio, regional and WTSDA events.· Leadership experience is preferred both with individuals and large groups.· Demonstrated performance characteristics required of the position. · Knowledgeable and sensitivity of cultural and ethnic differences.· Sound knowledge and understanding of WTSDA curriculum. · Knowledge and understanding of the ARD and Regional Director job descriptions.
V. Persuasion, Direction, Motivation of Others, Coaching and Counseling
· Over 20% of the time (this is meant to be a metric to assist in understanding how much time spent doing this job will be spent on these types of functions. Those functions without time noted will represent any remaining time.). · Demonstrated ability to work with others in a collaborative environment.· Ability to maintain the allegiance and commitment of the membership, and sustain the culture of service to the membership.· Ability to communicate clearly and persuasively.
VI. Standard Computer Knowledge and Skills
· Email skills· Word processing· Ability to collect and analyze data, ability to organize and assess information and data
VII. Dealing with Confidential Material
· As needed and approved by the RD, the job has access to and uses confidential materials, the disclosure of which could have significant ramifications for the organization as a whole. Information is restricted to members of senior management and the ARD must understand that much of the information they receive is not to be shared with individuals not authorized to have such information (which may include spouses, children, parents, etc.).
VIII. Other Important Information
There are certain actions which are explicitly prohibited as Regional Director (please see the Regional Director Guidelines), and accordingly as ARD. Additionally, there are certain functions that are reserved to the RD. For example, the ability to contract on behalf of the region (e.g., signing a contract with a center for a tournament) is implicit in the RD position (and NOT the ARD position without obtaining prior consent from the WTSDA). There is also a Conflict of Interest policy that applies to the RD and the ARD. For more information, please speak with the RD, OVP or LAC Chair.
A few schools have asked if we have something like a “sportsmanship agreement” – and we do! If you want a template to work from, take a look here!
A few resources related to COVID and reopening! – Now a page here, with info and helpful links. Some of the items on the page are listed below. Stay safe!
COVID SAMPLE disclaimer – a sample waiver for use with folks before you start permitting in-person training again
COVID reopening – all regions v2 – a best practices document coving a range of topics. Includes information on:
- General Considerations for Reopening
- Check-in Process
- Dropoff and Pick-up protocols
- Layout of Classroom
- Classroom Disinfectant Protocol
- Transition Cleaning Between Classes
- Daily Disinfecting Schedule
- Weekly Disinfecting Schedule
- Karate Equipment
- Common Areas
- Suggested PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) and Cleaning Supplies
- Cleaning After Someone Displays Symptoms
generic waiver for virtual events – a sample of a waiver for conducting a virtual event (not reoccurring classes)
You’ve asked for it – here you go. This is a SAMPLE waiver for once back to training. You should have it checked by our own legal counsel (as a reminder, I am counsel to the WTSDA, not the individual schools), but it is a starting point.
Questions – let me know!
Please note, the background check information on the Region 8 page has been updated to reflect the use of a new vendor by the Commonwealth of PA for the FBI fingerprint based checks. I was told that checks are taking 4-6 weeks – so please plan ahead. Checks are still good for 5 years (note, when the law changed we required new checks, so while there was technically a change at this point it should be that everyone has a “new” check – i.e., all three pieces – and if that is the case you don’t need a new one until the applicable 5-year period is up). The code for the new vendor is 1KG6ZJ. Please see the appropriate page for more information.
For all members of the WTSDA Board of Directors, this is a call for nominations. You may nominate one (1) person (or dojang in the case of Dojang of the Year) for each category. Please be sure to provide as much detail about the nominee as possible – the more information provided, the better other Directors will be able to assess the nominee’s worthiness!
You may submit one category at a time, or all at once (but if you nominate more than once in a category, only your first nominee will be counted). Nominations are due no later than December 15, 2017. The LAC will send reminders, but we are accepting nominations, beginning now! Directors should check their email for further information. For reference, former winners of each category are listed below.
Nominations may be submitted by clicking here.
|Year||Master of the Year||Instructor of the Year||Student of the Year||Family of the Year|
|1985||Y. H. Kwon||Larry Dercole|
|1987||Darryl Khalid||Mujahid Khan|
|1988||Larry Dercole||Karen Phillips||The Sachs|
|1989||G. Morgan Becker||Ronald Ravers|
|1990||Michael Hicks||Louis Marvil||Irma Tudara||The Youngers|
|1992||Larry Wick||Bob Mitchell||The Greens|
|1994||William Strong||Alejandro Pisoni||Nancy Clark||The Keiffers|
|1996||Vance Britt||Adriaan Blignaut||Stephanie Uttech||The Gebhardts|
|1998||Jerry Whitten||Brian Olden||Vince Melchiorre||The Valentins|
|2000||Mujahid Khan||John Costa||Jim Mars||The Ewings|
|2002||Allen Sharpe||Joseph Scota||Mary Clements||The Prescotts|
|2004||Jeff Haney||Joe Centrone||Hisako Ito||The Newmans|
|2006||Jeff Green||Becky Rupp||Shyla Sickels||The Thomases|
|Master of the Year||Instructor of the Year||Student of the Year||Family of the Year||Community Service||Humanitarian||Studio of the Year|
|2008||Larry Wick||Jared Arteca||Susan Strohm||The Fausnachts||Doug Smith||Chuck Vaughn|
|2010||John Godwin||Giselle Sharpe||Jarrett
|Frank Altiere||Sandy Lipstein||Valley Tang Soo Do Academy|
|2012||Jim Mars||Kristen Winsko||Jeanette Arteca||The Miller Family||Mary Jansa||Not awarded||Karate Masters|
|2014||Frank Fattori||Dan Farrelly||Karin Roumanis||Insohita Family||Katrina Fausnacht||C. Donald Weinberg||Vaughn’s Dojang|
|2016||Larry Wick||Montana Cole||Paul Helsdon||Sharpe Family||C. Donald Weinberg||Jeff Wheeler||Lorenzo Tang Soo Do|
For all members of the WTSDA and WTSDF Board of Directors, the voting for the 2016 Hall of Fame is now open. Please be sure to vote (once only 🙂 ). If you are a member of the Board, you should have received and email from Mrs. Winsko (firstname.lastname@example.org) with a link to the voting. If you did not, you can use the link below. Any problems voting, please let Mrs. Winsko know.
Voting will CLOSE at 10 pm (Eastern) on Monday, March 21 – in time to get information on the winners from the appropriate Regional Directors at the USA Master’s Clinic.
Click here to vote!